Pages

21 February 2013

Pauline Francis (Writing Teen Novels)

Readers tell me that I have an unusual approach to historical fiction. My view about historical detail is this: if I was writing contemporary fiction, I’d only put in as much contemporary detail as the book needed. I wouldn’t overload it with every detail of a character’s clothing or hair style or car. I’d use just enough to paint the picture I wanted. So why should historical fiction be any different? My characters are just people, like you and me. They have the same hopes and dreams and ambitions, so why overload my writing with details of embroidered sleeves and cloaks and jewellery? I want you to know how my characters reacted to dangerous situations, not what they were wearing when they did it - unless it’s important for some reason.
***
UK historical teen novelist, and children's fiction author, Pauline Francis at http://writingteennovels.com/2013/01/29/historical-teen-novels-fact-fiction-and-friction-by-pauline-francis

No comments:

Post a Comment