Pages

21 February 2013

Judith Cutler (on Writing Historical Novels)

...it took the wonderful anthology editor, Mike Ashley, to start me on the road of Regency crime. I suspect he thought when he asked me to write a short story set in the Regency that I’d produce something of a bodice-ripper, or have Mr Darcy popping up in a wet shirt, and this, to be fair, was my original intention. [...]
When the short story later grew into a full-length novel, which then had a sequel, I knew I’d earned my stripes as a writer of historical crime fiction. But it needed far more reading and research, in far greater depth, than I would ever have imagined.
***
Author of two historical crime/detective novels and many more contemporary crime/detective novels, and award winning short story writer, Judith Cutler at http://writinghistoricalnovels.com/2013/01/27/from-contemporary-novels-to-writing-my-first-historical-novel-by-judith-cutler

No comments:

Post a Comment