Pages

21 February 2013

Emma Darwin (Writing Historical Novels)

I love historical fiction: from childhood, all the novels that have changed and challenged my reading and writing life have been full of the lives and voices of the past. And I dislike historical fiction too: I dislike the kind which uses togas or carriages as so much set-dressing for modern emotions, beliefs and politics, and I dislike the shopworn storytelling of the C S Forester-imitators, and the ‘Regency’ drivel of would-be Heyers. Above all, I dislike the docu-drama novel which does nothing but add wooden dialogue to the text-book story.
***
Sunday Times bestselling historical novelist Emma Darwin at http://writinghistoricalnovels.com/2013/02/04/writing-a-secret-alchemy-between-and-beyond-historical-facts-by-emma-darwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment